Friday, September 12, 2014

Our primary class


We are down to small numbers with our little primary class.  During the summertime, we had lots of tourists and they would come to church, and bring their children.  We often taught primary in many different languages.  Now we just teach primary in Italian and in Portugese.  Gabriella, who is in the red dress, just moved here with her mom and sister, from Brazil.  She doesn't speak any Italian yet.  I print off the primary lesson from the Old Testament in Portugese, and with charades, a little English, and pointing to where we are in the lesson, she is able to understand what the lesson is.
The two D'Andolfo kids are as smart as can be.  Their mother has taught them the stories of the Old Testament, so they know them better than Carrie or I do.  
Last week, our lesson was about Elijah and the widow.  I thought I would have the kids do a little role play to introduce the lesson.  Jonathan, has lots of energy, just like any 10 year old boy.  So I thought I would try to tire him out a bit as I started the lesson.  I asked him to go outside and run to the end of the lawn and come back and touch the church and then run to the fence and back to the church.  The rest of the primary would watch him from our third floor balcony and we would count and see how many seconds it would take him.  He is very competitive, and so he ran as fast as he could and finished in just 20 seconds.  Then he walked back up the two flights of stairs, and sat down on his chair.  I asked him if he was tired.  He answered yes, and I asked him if he was thirsty, and he answered yes.  Then I told him he was in perfect physical condition to role play our Old Testament story.  I told him that we would pretend that he was a very hot, thirsty, tired prophet.  He immediately gets a gleam in his eye and shouts out "Elijah!"


His sister played the part of the widow, and Carrie, our president played the part of the widow's son.  We had a fun lesson.  I love working in primary with Carrie and these adorable kids.
This generation of children are extra prepared and even more valiant, in the gospel than their parents or grandparents.  With so many more sisters serving missions, I see even more strength in families even as the world becomes a more dangerous place and Satan has a bigger and bigger hold on the hearts of the children of men.  I know that these precious children have been saved for these the latter days, to prepare the world for the second coming of our Savior.  God is in charge.  Righteousness will prevail.  I am so thankful to be a member of his church.  I am so thankful that we could raise our children in the gospel.  I am so thankful that our family is eternal, and that we are sealed to each and everyone of our children, and they to theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment