Monday, June 24, 2013

Quick trip to Rome


 I read a cute story by Laurell Christensen in a book by John Bytheway, called 'Armour Up'.  
She said she was teaching a cute class of primary kids and they seemed to always be a bit concerned that she has never married and that she lives all by herself.
One day as she was teaching them, she thought she would ease their minds a bit.  So she said, "I know that you have been worried about me living alone, well you know, that I don't actually live alone.  I do have a room mate. ". They seemed interested.
"My roommate is the Holy Ghost.  I am never alone."
She said that the kids seemed satisfied and they went on with a lesson about the Holy Ghost. She said that later in the week, she realized that she didnt really get the right message across, when the mom of one of her students called and said that her child wanted to come over to Sister Christensen's house.  Her mother asked why she wanted to go, and the little girl said, " Because the Holy Ghost lives at her house and I want to meet him!"
Saturday, we went to Rome, for a day of lectures about various gospel subjects. We took the train there.  It was about a 3 and a half hour train ride, and then we caught the underground metro which is like a sub way.  We rode across town to the stop closest to the stake center and walked about 1/2 hour to the church.  We left home at 5:30 am and got home about 11:00.  It was a long day.  Unfortunately, as we  were walking to the metro station, my sandal caution on an uneven piece of cobblestone and I fell.  Luckily, I didn't break my wrist as I fell.  I hurt my shoulder a bit, and my pride! ...but I didn't hurt my knees...so I was just sore as I sat all day at the lectures. I am thankful I didn't break anything, so I think that Heavenly Father must still love me!  The metro was really crowded as we tried to get on.  I have a couple of pictures below.  Apparently there was a demonstration of some kind and a protest going on at the stop right after the train station, where we got on.  We were glad to get a space.
The lectures were all pretty interesting.  One was on Blacks and the Scriptures, another was on the Book of Abraham, another was on DNA evidence and the Book of Mormon, one was on Polygamy, another was on archeological sites and the geography of the Book of Mormon. The last photo below is  from his photo on the screen showing where he thinks Zarahemla was and also where the Jaredites lived.  He thinks it was in Mexico, in the narrow area above the boot shape.
 It was nice to see some of the other senior couples there again and visit with them as we ate lunch.

We had 10 investigators to church, 7 missionaries, and 18 members to church on Sunday.  
  
It is starting to be really hot.  I feel like the wicked witch of the east as she screams, "I'm melting, I'm melting." 







No comments:

Post a Comment