Monday, October 7, 2013

What happens when we let Christ in our life

As I was reading in John 6:19-21 I was reminded of the blessings we all can have when we let Christ in our Boat.  When we believe that he can help us, he will.
Christ's disciples were in a boat and they rowed about 3.5 miles (it says they rowed five and twenty or thirty furlongs, and I found out a furlong is 1/8 of a mile). The sea was with high waves because of a great wind and they see Jesus walking on the sea toward their ship.  And they were afraid.  (I was a bit confused when I read this as to why they were afraid.  Was it because of the high waves and the wind or was it because they saw Jesus from a ways off walking on the water and they didn't know who or what was coming at them?)
I read the footnote to the word afraid.  It was D&C 67:3 The Lord is talking to the elders of his church.  He acknowledged that they wanted to believe they would receive the blessing which was offered to them, but there were fears in their hearts and that was the reason they didn't receive the blessing.  
So I guess we are often afraid because we don't think that our faith will not be strong enough help us when we need help.  They wanted to believe but they were not sure until they hear their master say "it is I, be not afraid."  Verse 21 says "then they willingly received him into the ship:" and it continues with the coolest part of the passage....."and immediately the ship was at the land whither they went."
I interpret this to mean that when we believe Christ is there for us with whatever problem we have, and we let him "into our boat" or in other words " into our heart" or "into our life",  our life will immediately take the course that CHRIST SEES FOR US. In this case, the  disciple's ship was immediately at the land where they were trying to go, and they were out of danger from the sea.
I know that fear squeezes out our faith.  I need so much more faith than I have.
I don't know how many times during conference that I heard Matthew 11:29-30 quoted.  But it seemed more than five or six times.  "Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me;  for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
I hope that I can learn this one principal and do it.  I know that it's possible.  This mission is a great opportunity for my faith to grow.  I want to let Christ get on my boat and help me get to where he wants me to go.



No comments:

Post a Comment