Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Befana

Yesterday was the 6th of January and it was a big holiday here in Italy.  It was Epiphany which is celebrating the day the three wise men came to bring gifts to the baby Jesus.  The Italians celebrate it with Befana, who is an ugly old witch.  She rides on her broom stick on Epiphany Eve and brings candies and gifts to good boys and girls.  She sweeps the floors of each house she visits because she is a very good tidy witch.  She is covered in soot because she enters and exits each home by way of the chimney.  Here is a typical picture of Befana.


She is very ugly but very very nice.  All the stores were selling little Befana dolls, and lots of red Christmas-like stockings with Befana witches appliqued on the front.  She leaves coal, sticks, onions or garlic to bad little boys and girls.  Many people I have talked with say that many years that is all they got!  She will bop you with her broom if you see her flying about.  That threat is to ensure that children will go to bed early and not peek when she comes.  

Paul and I were out walking yesterday and came upon Befana outside a bakery.  I suppose she was hungry after flying around Italy all the night before.  I asked her if I might get a picture with her.  Mind you, I don't have any makeup on and I wouldn't ordinarily show this picture to just anyone, but I do want to have it for a keepsake to Journal our experiences here in Italy.


She didn't bob me once!  I suppose I caught her at a good time of day!  I thought a witch was such a strange symbol for bearer of gifts, but I suppose it is no stranger than Santa.

I read about the history of Befana.  It was quite interesting.  The Italians believe that when the three wise men were looking the the Baby Jesus! that they got lost.  They ran into Befana and asked for directions.  She had no idea, but invited them in to eat and rest.  Her house was so clean because she was such a good housekeeper.  She sent them with candies and small gifts.  Later, she wanted to find the baby Jesus herself.  So she loaded up her broomstick with all kinds of candies and gifts and she flew to all the houses she could find, to look for the baby.  She left something at every house, in case it was the baby's house.  She has continued doing this every year on Epiphany.  


No comments:

Post a Comment