Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Feet Shod with the Gospel

I have been thinking about a few things lately that involve feet and shoes.  A few weeks ago I read about an interview that Sister Uchdorf had with someone.  They  asked her how she could keep up with her husband and his very busy schedule.  She said that she wandered about that herself.  When he was first called as an apostle, she spoke with Sister Hinckley and asked her how she was able to keep up with her husband.  Sister Hinckley said, " I just put on my shoes and go."
Those words have rerun in my mind a hundred times.  How do the wives of the general authorities do what they have to do?  I never thought about  that before coming on this mission.  The focus is entirely on their husband and his calling, and they are there by his side smiling and supporting him.  I am sure it must be difficult for them sometimes more than at other times.  Sometimes it is really hard for me to be by Paul's side and just stand there as he speaks, teaches, and councils people here.  I really like the simple council to " just put on your shoes and go."


I just finished reading a book called Armor Up, by John Bytheway.  Each of the chapters are written by different authors. There is a chapter in there by Laurel Christensen, who was Jonathan's primary teacher in Salt Lake.  I really liked the chapter about our Feet shod with the  preparation of the gospel of peace by Anthony Sweat.  He said that "to have our feet shod means literally to put on our shoes and go."  Even though this is not the flashiest part of the Armor it is one of the most important parts.  Just like proper footwear is vital to our total well being, so is this part of our armor.  When we shod our feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace it represents being prepared with gospel knowledge that can direct our path through life.  When we head out the door each morning we are prepared to follow in the Foot steps of Jesus as he beckons us to "Come Follow Me".  When we have our feet shod with these gospel shoes we will gain three benefits;  direction, protection, and projection. I hope each of you can read this book.  Every chapter has wonderful thoughts and examples.

So now when I see our missionary shoes, I think of the above two things.

I hope that when any of us have something difficult to do maybe we can remember to follow Sister Hnckley's counsel and just put on our shoes and go.  And we need to also remember to put on our gospel shoes everyday and follow in the footsteps of the Savior.  Live his teachings and be prepared with his gospel to help us go where we need to go and do what we need to do.  It's great to have good shoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment