Wednesday, February 6, 2013

FEBRUARY 3, 2013

Sunday, fast Sunday.
We walked to church with the elders whose apartment is right across the hall from us. The church  is right across the street from our apartment building. Church started at  9:30 and Relief Society was first.  There were about 15 sisters in Relief Society.  The interesting thing I noticed during the lesson was that all the sisters were very engaged in participating in the lesson.  In fact some times they got so excited about the lesson that 2 or 3 would all be talking at the same time.  A young adult girl sat next to me, named Alexandra and she interpreted for me when ever I asked.  Our lesson was on prayer and they went into quite a bit about not using their Catholic ways to pray.
Sunday school was next and the Branch Presidents wife taught the lesson.  She even asked me to read a few scriptures.  She did a great job of teaching because I could even understand her lesson for the most part. One of the verses she wanted me to read was DC 6:27 which says,

And now I command you that if you have good desires-- a desire to lay up treasures for yourself in heaven--then shall you assist in bringing to light, with your gift, those parts of my scriptures which have been hidden because of iniquity."

This verse made me cry when I read it, I think because the Lord was telling me that I have a good desire to be a missionary now and that I will be able to assist in bringing to light his word to the people here in Italy. It was like a mini revelation that came in an instant as I read those words.  It was a special experience, that I was very thankful for.
Sacrament meeting came at the end.  There were three investigators and one non member there.  The non member plays the organ every Sunday for this small branch.  He travels about a half an hour each way, and has done this for 14 years.  He is very staunch Catholic.  He read one day about the early saints who came to SLC and how they helped the Catholics build a church and how someone played their organ for the Catholics because they didn't have anyone who could play.  He thought that that was something he could do to help the Mormons in Italy to pay them back for their kindness to his church so many years before.  Can you imagine what a good person he is.
It was testimony sunday, and I have been practicing saying my testimony for the past month.  Before I go to sleep each night, I try to say it and remember what I want to say. This morning  I forgot to say 2 or three parts but the 
rest I remembered.  I felt the spirit strong and I was very thankful that I could say what was in my heart.
After church was over we stayed for lunch with about half of the members. We had such yummy pasta and soup and oranges for desert.  Maria brought some pastries as a surprise at the end.  One of the missionaries here, elder Vitalie is going home this week, so this is his last Sunday in Italy.  We have enjoyed getting to know him these past few days.  He has been a really good missionary and I know the members will miss him.
It started pouring as we left the church to walk home.  By the time we got halfway, it was hailing and raining and we got really soaked.  I dried off with a hair dryer when I got home.  We turned on the radiators which are never used here because it is usually so warm, but today was cold.  In fact when I finish writing this, I am going to hop into bed under my covers to get warm!
We are not sure when we can get internet, so I don't know when I will be able to post this.  But hopefully soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment