Wednesday, February 6, 2013

FEBRUARY 4, 2013 Tuesday

Here are a few notes of things that I am thankful for.
1. Today I used the wonderful knit hot pad holder that Julie Challis made me.  It was a bit from home that reminded me of love and friends.  The hot pads that are here belong to the  landlady, and they are all so grimy and greasy that I really don't want to even touch them, let alone use them.
2. I have the family book of pictures up above my desk on a little glass shelf.  I put it to a new page every day, so I can look at two of my kids and spouses or two grandkids each day.  Today it is on Jon and Christy and Mike.  Thank you Shelly for making that for me.  I love my family.
3. Yesterday, the handle broke off my washing machine so that I couldn't open or close it.  We called the office couple and they arranged to have another one brought by today, and they just came and delivered it, so I can do the laundry again!  There are no clothes dryers here to use, so I get to hang up all the Laundry out on my balcony, Italian style.  I always have loved that.  Really I do!  The clothes smell so fresh.
4. I cleaned out three cupboards today in the kitchen and had a place to put our food and the few dishes I bought yesterday at Ikea.
5. I am  so thankful that IKEA is close by, (20 minutes away).  I was able to buy a clothes hanger thing to dry laundry on when it rains outside,  and some kitchen things.  They were really good prices.
6.  The two cute missionaries across the hall from us have helped us out so much.  Elder Taylor and Elder Vitali.  Elder Vitali goes home this week, and although we have only known him for 4 days, we love him.  Jonathan gave me a good idea before we came on our mission.  He suggested having each elder we know, highlight their favorite scripture in my scriptures and sign their name and date it as they leave to go home.  I already got his favorite scripture and it was  Mosiah 4:11-12 & 20.
7.  I made Jessica Crosby's  Peanut Butter bars (which I really made into cookies.) from the Afton Cookbook today.  My oven worked.  I had to guess where to turn the dial to as there were no marks at all to know the temperature of the oven.  I just cooked 4 cookies at a time for the first three batches as I experimented on how far to turn the dial.  Lucky thing.  The first four cookies were baked at too hot of an oven and after just 5 minutes they were done.  The next four took too long to cook as I turned it down too much.  The third group were just right, and I think I found where 350 degrees is.  I felt like Goldilocks, trying out all the beds until she found one that was just right!
8.  Yesterday in our District Meeting, which was in a cute little town about an hour away, called Castellammare, the District leader, Elder Decker, from Provo, gave a really good spiritual thought.  He quoted Proverbs 13:22.
"A GOOD MAN LEAVETH AN INHERITANCE TO HIS CHILDREN'S CHILDREN"  He asked us what is an inheritance.  There were a lot of good thoughts.  Paul and I each  thought about each of our parents and how they have left such a good example for our children as well as for us.  Thank you mom and dad for being such good examples not only to Paul and I , but especially to our kids.  We all want to go on missions when we grow up because of your example.
9.  After the District meeting our whole district was invited to a nearby town to have lunch with Jonathan Tavernari who use to play basketball at BYU.  He is playing Pro Ball in Italy and he and his cute wife Kerry fed 14 of us a Cafe Rio style lunch.  It was so yummy.  They were so cute.  They have a 6 month little boy who was adorable.  We all talked and enjoyed getting to know each other.
10.  After lunch  we got to take a couple missionaries to the train station in Salarno.  Wow,  that is the most beautiful town I have ever seen.  All the pictures of the Amalfi coast, that we showed you on our computer must have been taken in this town.  We got there just before the sun set, and it was incredible.
11.  I have stayed at home all day today waiting for our permisso papers to arrive from Milan.  They were suppose to come and they haven't yet.  Hopefully they will.  We need to take them with us as we sign up at the police station by Thursday, or something bad happens.  I don't know what!
12.  Hopefully we can get hooked up with some internet real soon so I can add on to my blog.
13.  We are enjoying most all of everything, everyday.  It has really been an adventure so far.  We will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment