Tuesday, April 30, 2013

What I have learned in the first three months of our mission

One of the sisters in our branch sent this picture to Paul yesterday.  I am guessing she photo shopped it with a picture of us and a picture of the Battipaglia Castle.  I liked it though and was happy she sent it to us.
Elder Taylor is leaving us tonight and heading for Rome and then will fly out on Friday to go home. He is trying to pack and get everything in that is the most important to him. He is so sad to be leaving.  I think it must be much harder to leave the mission and all the people you have taught and loved and to think that you might not get a chance to ever see them again in this life. He has been here with us in Battipaglia for the entire time and he also served here in the first part of his mission, so it is extra dear to him.  he will be definitely be returning home with honor.  He is a really good missionary.  We will miss him a lot.  Elder Ostler gets to stay and his new companion is from Africa but grew up in Italy.  He speaks perfect Italian and English.  His name is Elder Bendiaky.  We look forward to meeting him Thursday, along with two new sister missionaries.
Today I was thinking of all the things that I have learned so far on my mission.
1.  I am overwhelmed constantly with the power of the Holy Ghost.  I have learned that the keys we hold as missionaries are very real and everyday, I witness that power in action.  This is the Lords work and we are just his tools, but he is very anxious for the Italian people to hear the gospel.  He puts people in our path.  We have to open our mouth and testify.  God does the rest.
2.  I am realizing more each day, that I married a very incredible man.  Paul is doing everything he can to serve The Lord here in Battipaglia.  He has so much more endurance than I do, and he is willing to go visit one more person at the end of a long day, when I am tempted to ask them, if we could come tomorrow.  I am getting a chance to learn from him, and i hope that I can be as patient with others as he is being.
3.  I am trying to speak more and more Italian.  ITS HARD!! I am able to at least say what I need to and I can express myself  a bit more.  I think that I will be able to speak quite a bit by August.  That is my goal.  I can understand most all church stuff and family and small talk stuff.  When people start talking in the dialects I get lost real fast!  People from Naples cut off the last half of most words. and they talk faster than they drive and they speak just as crazy as they drive.  Its really fun to listen to but not easy to understand.
4. I am learning to be more patient.  It is a virtue that I have not had in the past,  and as I have gotten older I have had less rather than more of it. But every day I get chances to practice being patient.  As I sit for hours on end and listen to Paul speak to branch members, I can either do it patiently or impatiently and patiently feels much better.  When my landlady comes by and barges into our apartment and starts telling me  should have her ugly couch covers on and that I should be sleeping in the one bedroom with the broken down twin beds instead of in the nice queen bed, I get another chance to smile and be patient.
5.  I have learned how to cook several Italian dishes and Paul really likes that.  They cook with very fresh foods and their food is very simple really.  Its just they like to serve a lot of it to us everytime we are asked to eat.
6.  I have learned that the Italians have a system to their crazy driving.  The cutting in and out is kind of like a dance and I am used to it for the most part now, and I dont freak out everytime we are out driving.  I have driven many times myself and I feel very comfortable doing so.
7.  I am thrilled that we have the opportunity to serve a mission right now when the Lords work is hastening forward at a speed that is hard to keep up with.  We are excited to have Sister Missionaries coming to our little branch.  With so many single sisters in our branch, I know they are excited as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment