Thursday, September 26, 2013

New things keeping popping up in my scriptures!

I found something totally new to me in the scriptures this morning.  It actually listed the three most used excuses we make for not going to the temple, or church, or why we don't do our visiting teaching or fulfil our church callings.   It is found in the parable of the great supper which is in Luke 14:16-27.  Christ invites everyone to a great supper and verse 17 says they all began to make excuses.  The first one said he had just bought a piece of ground and he had to go see it, and please excuse him. The second one said that he had just bought 5 yoke of oxen and he had to prove them, please excuse him.  The third said that he married a wife and couldn't come.

So I could imagine how these excuses compare to the ones we give over and over again for not participating in the feast that The Lord has for us now.  It boils down to one of these three things.
1.  The piece of ground is like our worldly things or even the earth.  We might want to go see a movie, or go exercise,  and go see this beautiful world by going on a hike. It might be sports or a concert that we just have to go see.
2.   The oxen can be compared to our work - we have so much we have to do at work
3.   It's easy to see how often we use our family for our excuse not to serve The Lord.

I don't remember reading those excuses before and thought I would share them.  Vs 33 says that "whosoever he be of you that forsaketh  not all that he hath, he can not be my disciple."
Here are a couple of pictures depicting the three examples above.  I didn't have a picture of an oxen, but I did have a cute one of a water buffalo that gives milk for the famous Mozzarella di Buffala cheese, here in Battipaglia.



No comments:

Post a Comment